Welcome to my class! My name is Amy Cook Dean and I am honored to be returning to Providence St. Mel School for my third year teaching Spanish 1, 2 and 4. I am truly dedicated to serving the PSM community and I thank you in advance for your hard work. I am lucky to teach in a school with such dedicated students and parents.
Learning Spanish is more than rote memorization or grammar drills. Because communication in our ultimate goal, you will be assessed through opportunities to use what you have learned creatively and usefully.
The standard PSM grading scale is used in Spanish I, II and IV.
Students’ grades will be composed of four categories:
You will begin each day with three participation points. If you choose follow the classroom rules, follow classroom procedures and actively participate, you will maintain a solid A+ for participation. However, points will be deducted for the following issues:
- Verbal redirects or warnings
- Teacher Requests/Referrals
- Being unprepared for class
- Other missteps with classroom rules or procedures
- You are respectful of yourself, your professor and your colleagues.
- You follow your professor’s directions.
- You come to class prepared, both in attitude and in materials.
- You are seated and on-task BEFORE the bell.
- You take care of personal needs before entering the classroom.
- You greet the professor in Spanish and enter the classroom quietly.
- You are seated, silent and doing the arrival activity before the bell.
- Your homework is on your desk and ready to be collected or revised.
- You raise your hand to speak.
- You are on-task during group work.
- Your classroom interaction is conducted entirely in Spanish.
After the Bell
- You wait to be dismissed by the professor.